2019 Jeep Wrangler vs. 2019 Ford Explorer
Drivers know the 2019 Ford Explorer as a capable SUV, but how well does it really measure up against an off-road ready competitor like the 2019 Jeep Wrangler? Although larger families in the Belvidere region will probably prefer the 7-passenger Explorer, those with options would do well to consider the capabilities of this celebrated Jeep. In order to give you a closer real-world comparison, we’ve pitted the 2019 Jeep Wrangler vs. the 2019 Ford Explorer.
2019 Jeep Wrangler vs. 2019 Ford Explorer: At a Glance
Horsepower and Fuel Economy
Although the 2019 Ford Explorer ekes out small advantages in horsepower and highway fuel economy, the 2019 Jeep Wrangler outperforms its competitor on Milwaukee and Janesville city streets.
- Both the 2019 Jeep Wrangler and the 2019 Ford Explorer offer two available engines, and they’re comparable in strength. For the Explorer, these include a 280-hp 2.3-Liter I-4 and a 290-hp 3.5-liter V-6. The options in the Wrangler are similar, with a 270-hp 2.0-liter I-4 and a 285-hp 3.6-liter V-6 both offered.
- In terms of fuel economy, the Wrangler and Ford Explorer excel in different terrains. The Ford Explorer wins out on the highway with 27 mpg, compared to 24 mpg highway with the Wrangler Unlimited. However, it’s the Wrangler that takes the lead in the city. The latter earns 22 mpg in the city, where the Ford Explorer earns only 19 mpg.
Utility and Capability
Whether you’re moving over rough terrain, hauling heavy cargo, or loading up groceries in Beloit, you’ll find that the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is better equipped to overcome life’s little challenges than the Ford Explorer.
- Only the Wrangler includes four-wheel drive as a standard feature. Although 4×4 technology is also available in the Ford Explorer, this upgrade adds no less than $2,150 to the Explorer MSRP. Note also that, with four-wheel drive equipped, the Explorer fuel economy ratings decrease by 1 in the city and 2 on the highway.
- If you plan on doing any towing, you’re better off choosing the Wrangler. The Jeep offers a 3,500 pound capacity in its baseline trim, while a comparable Ford Explorer can only tow 2,000 pounds.
- The Ford Explorer offers three rows of seating, while the Jeep Wrangler is a two-row SUV. As a result, the Explorer has a significant advantage in passenger space over the Jeep. However, this capability comes at a cost: the Jeep Wrangler offers 31.7 cubic feet of cargo space with all seats upright, while the Explorer manages just 21.0 cubic feet with the same restriction.
Schedule Your Test Drive Today!
If you’re still undecided about the 2019 Jeep Wrangler vs. 2019 Ford Explorer, we’re sure that a test drive just might push you over the edge! Once you’ve had the chance to get behind the wheel of one of our new Jeep Wrangler models, you won’t be able to settle for any other SUV. Contact Burtness Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram near Madison to schedule your visit. And while you’re here, you can learn more about the 2019 Jeep Wrangler trims as well as its various available accessories.